Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Unit Three Week 1, post B

Throughout the first chapter, you get the understanding of the author's style of writing. This surprises me because this a non-fiction book about World War I, and even though it won a award, I thought it would have been dreadfullying boring. But Barbara W. Tuchman author the book I'm reading The Guns of August really creates an interesting beginning making the true plot seem almost like a novels. Consider the following excerpt: "The Kaiser (the leader of Germany) always wanted an agreement with England if he could get one without seeming to want it" (page 5). Its very interesting that Germany's ruler wanted a peace treaty with Britain, however, because of his pride, he refused to state his desire for such a treaty. It goes to show that perhaps this World War I could have been delayed or perhaps prevented altogether if personal pride hadn't been so high on leader's agendas.
Another interesting thing I found in the beginning of this book, is how Japan was considered very important to the world powers, in the late 18-hundreds. The reason this is apparent to me, is that the emperor's brother was at the funeral of the King Edward, which goes to show that Japan was thought of as an important ally.

No comments: