Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Post B week four

As I mentioned in my theme post for this week, the main theme in these chapters is white hate. It partially scares me because Malcolm X becomes one of the most influential African Americans in his time, and the religion his family wants him to join is teaching that whites were savages when they were first created. If he had started to teach this to all the people who listen to him, social peace would never have become possible. This confuses me a little because even though I haven't reached the part of the book that he starts to become influential, it doesn't seem likely that he wouldn't teach something that he learned when he was first introduced to his faith. So maybe I've missed something about his character that allows him to change his views on race extremely. I am curious to find out the exact details, and I will post them next week. Now I want to talk about religion and how people can interpret it to justify killing or hurting other people. Its easy to say when you see killing in the name of religion: "wow, those people are monsters." and not go any farther. Now I'm not saying the idea you can kill people because of how you interpret your religious text is justified; not at all I think the whole idea is sickening. But you need to ask what would cause people to want to kill others. When people die from the the attacks of religious fanatics, its almost certain the attackers believe themselves to be doing the right thing, because it was what they had been taught. But almost every religion that these people claim to be apart of starts off believing killing is a negative. So somewhere along the line, someone interpreted that it allowed you to kill other people. What caused that thought? I believe its pressure from another society in a forceful way. And the people they want you to kill are the people who belong to the society that is pressuring them. This explains why Malcolm is learning to hate white people from a branch of a religion composed of only blacks. The reason why I'm bringing this up is because this is a very wrong thing to do, but its not just the people who kill who are responsible, almost always another group of people is pressuring them.

No comments: