Tuesday, October 23, 2007
Quote week 5
"It's unbelievable how many black men and women have let the white man fool them into holding an almost romantic idea of what slave days were like"(245). This is the most startling quote in the whole book in my opinion. Its amazing how the black community is controlled so much by the whites, that the whites control what the blacks think their history was like. The fact that they can barely believe what they are hearing when Malcolm starts preaching to them what actually happened, sickens me. The fact that we fought a war to free African Americans from slavery, only to cover up the horrendous things we did, is just plain disgusting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Erik - I agree, this is a very startling quote. I haven't read your book, but I don't see how anyone could be fooled into thinking that the slave days were romantic - slavery is awful by nature! I also agree with you that a lot of American history is horrible and we ought to be ashamed of it. -maddie
Post a Comment