Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Post B week two

"I was able to keep that cracker stripping of clothes until he stood there drunk with nothing on from his pants up, and the whole car was laughing at him, and some other soldiers got him out of the way. I went on. I never would forget that- that I couldn't have whipped that white man as badly with a club as I had with my mind" (90). The thing I find important about this quote is how Malcolm X is almost being racist and sterio typical about whites. Not to say we weren't doing that exact same thing back then, but this could have easily have happened to a black man. The thing that bothers me about this is just how easily he thinks whites are not all that smart.
"I got my first schooling about the cesspool morals of the white man form the best possible sourse, from his own women. And then as I got deeper into my own life of evil, I saw the white man's morals with my own eyes. I even made my living helping to guide him to the sick things he wanted" (106). Again stero typing whites as perverted people lacking decent morals. For someone who is trying to promote racial equality, he doesn't seem to be doing a good job of it. He constantly complains about how, for example, the white man doesn't have any morals concerning prostitution. But later on in the same chapter, he talks about blacks doing the same thing but without any protest about them.

No comments: