Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Post B week Three

These chapters focused alot on how messed up his life was. He bounces back between how he can't have a legal job and earn money, and how he stays high all the time when he is awake. I find, to my surprise, myself pitying Malcolm. I normally wouldn't pity someone who is in this situation because it would be possible if they truely wanted too, to change their life style. However, due to white supremecy, Malcolm can't really change what he is doing to survive. Its this or living on the streets. Malcolm realizes this, and he will occasionally critize white people. For example: "I have also read recently that groups of white couples who get together, the husbands throw their house keys into a hat, then, blindfolded, the husbands draw out a key and spend the night with the wife that the house key matches. I have never heard of anything like that being done by Negroes, even Negroes who live in the worst ghettoes and alleys and gutters"(141). Now I don't disagree with him in the sense that this is immoral, and considering in the previous paragraph he metions that whites think Black's have worse morals then they do, this quote is justifiable. But I don't think that just whites are capable of actions on this level, instead I think that maybe Black's didn't do this exact thing, but can do something like it. Basically what I'm saying is that its not the color of your skin that decides your morals, its the society you've grown up in.

1 comment:

Dan said...

it kind of raises the question, can anyone get rich? is it always possible to escape your social class? we discussed that in ap world the first day i think. it depends on the ambition of a person, the people and habitat around them, and not everyone gets lucky.